Monday started the same as Anyday. I awoke to unfamiliar surroundings and two other people in my room: Travis and Monica. However, today things would be different. Instead of the usual chirping of birds and natural light, the sound of a desperate someone pumping up his kite woke me up. It was 6:30am and a mere mouse fart of wind was blowing through the window. I suppose it was a forgivable offense assuming that he may have been leaving Brazil that day.
The usual Brazilian breakfast (complete with cake) was a prelude to packing up for what promised to be another hellish drive into Fortaleza to drop Travis off at the airport. It was sad to see Travis go, and not just because he was really good at sharing the blame for my stupidity. If you compare the below to his initial arrival, you will note that he is now a slight shade of pink.
| Which superhero am I? |
We only got lost once getting out of Fortaleza this time, excluding the fact that we at one point found ourselves on the highway heading south towards Rio, instead of north to Taiba.
For the most part of the week, we were in Taiba. Reading, sleeping in hammocks, kiting on the lagoon and a noted lack of trips to the pharmacy since Travis departure. A real treat was doing a downwind kite trip from Taiba to Paracuru to discover some beautiful sections of deserted beach for riding and two "secret spots".
| Secret spot number 1 |
Although sad to see it go, we left Taiba for Ilha do Guajiru to get in some more flat water riding and visit our friends at the Windy Addiction Pousada.
Monica has been progressing every day, and has been keeping her calm as I wildly gesticulate unhelpful kiting tips from the beach. We have generally just been chilling out and enjoying the slower pace of life over here. That and another amusing mishap when Monica found out that the peanut butter and jam toast she had this morning was in fact Brazilian meat jam!? Tasted delicious!
Monica has been progressing every day, and has been keeping her calm as I wildly gesticulate unhelpful kiting tips from the beach. We have generally just been chilling out and enjoying the slower pace of life over here. That and another amusing mishap when Monica found out that the peanut butter and jam toast she had this morning was in fact Brazilian meat jam!? Tasted delicious!
| Buy me so that I can finally be used to go fishing |
Today we also got the chance to visit a Brazilian farm, where Monica got to sample a fresh Caju fruit, and we got to see a small sample of what the non-touristy Brazil really looks like.
| Mmmm |
| The farm house - I didn't get a chance to photograph the inside, but thought the dish was a great touch. |
| Monica is fascinated by paw paw trees |
It also happens to be a special someone's birthday tomorrow, and if you really want to help make it a special day for her, then you can post your wishes here, and maybe say something about how amazing she is to you, so she can find it here in the morning.
| The Birthday Girl! |
Happy Birthday Mon!
ReplyDeleteTry to continue to keep Pete (mostly) out of trouble :)
Happy Birthday Mon,
ReplyDeleteHope Captain Pete has a big surprise for you - and a delicious cake
Monica by far is the most happiest, friendly, caring and sweet person I've met in my life - She always tries to make sure everyone surrounding her is comfortable, have everything they need and content.
Even when you're having a bad day - When you see or meet monica - she always seem to find ways to cheer you up.
Happy Birthday Mon - We miss you - and of course we miss your lovely Romeo as well
Hey Monica
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!
Looks like you guys are having an amazing trip, I love reading the blog updates!!
Miss you guys around the office =)
From Sheena
Mon,
ReplyDeleteI hope you're having a wonderful birthday and that Pete is making the day all about YOU. :)
You are one of the most amazing people I have ever known and I am so thankful for our friendship.
I'll be thinking about you today. Miss you very much. Can't wait to see you in December.
Lots of love and hugs!
k :)
Happy Birthday Monica! Hope you have a nice day, and Pete manages to keep himself both appropriate and under control.
ReplyDeleteMiss you guys....
Mon,
ReplyDeleteHope you see this before the end of your special day.
Happy happy birthday!! I hope that Pete stayed out of trouble for at least one day... :-p
Can't wait to see you both in Dec. Miss ya both lots!!
Hugs & kisses,
Jen
Thanks for all the very sweet birthday wishes and thoughts!! Missing everyone tons and can't wait to see you in December.
ReplyDeleteBTW - Pete is always in trouble and never appropriate, but you already knew that :)
Oops, read this a bit late! Happy birthday Monica, I hope you have a great day. :-)
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Karen Friesen
Gah, I'm a day late!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Monica!! I can confirm Travis's pink colour has actually become more pink since his return home.
Hi guys,
ReplyDeleteWell, rather late than never, Happy Birthday Monica.
Looks like you're both having an amazing time, I wish I was there too. I have to confirm, what others have said on this blog, even though we only know you a couple of weeks, you are both truly amazing people. Keep up the kiting and the experience of flow, and can't wait to see you both in NZ.
WOW! What a fantastic picture of you FREDDO! You are looking extremely fit and .....you have a tan! Looking good Rea!
ReplyDelete