O hostel, my hostel, how do I love thee?
Hosting young adults, so drunk their beds they oft' pee.
Snoring, farting, mumbling,
Like some night-long, out-of-tune symphony.
How can I be so sure
That inspired trumpet solo was not me?
Rio is a happening city! Full of activity, culture and of course about 6 million people. We have been travelling around on the local bus system, which is actually very good (and cheap), and trying to see as much of the city as we can in 3 days.
Yesterday, we made our way up to the Corocovado, to see the iconic statue of Christ the Redeemer. Riding up a tram packed full off tourists that takes you to the peak of a hill overlooking Rio is well worth the price for the stunning views:
| There was some special name for this type of track that I have forgotten. |
| The Tram rides up through the Tijuca Forest |
| One of the many views from the top of the Corocovado. This is Ipanema Beach where we are staying |
Of course, the main attraction is Christ the Redeemer. Everyone likes to take funny pictures of themselves imitating the statue or pretending to squish the statue in their fingers or windmill-five. We tried to get some funny ones ourselves, but settled for windmill-fiving each other a la Goose and Maverick.
| I stand 70 metres high |
| "I swear, it was this big!" |
| Mmm. fish! |
Nice pictures Pete!
ReplyDelete@BJ - Thanks, although I now note that the big jesus is slightly off center :)
ReplyDeleteOla Cariocas,
ReplyDeleteMe muito gusto sua poema. At least you made it to the Cristo Redentor, I know of an Italian guy who got too wrapped up in Ipanema:) and ended up having to send la mamma a postcard instead of the real picture. Did you see any divers?