I know there must be thousands of you out there wondering what on earth as happened to us. I have been rather uninspired after having spent an alarming amount of time viewing a wide range of Vietnam's toilets whilst giving birth to last nights dinner through my mouth.
We have all had a small bug that has hit us in various ways, which I will leave to your imagination. Needless to say, it has slowed us down a bit on the cycling. We managed to get as far south as the
Son My Memorial (a tragic part of the US history here) before we realized we weren't going to make it to Ho Chi Minh City for B's departure. We elected to take a train to Nha Trang, where we spent a bit of time on the beach, and being sick some more, and then took a bus down to Phan Thiet. John and B headed off to Vung Tau (also known as Rio de Vietnam) and onto HCMC.
Monica and I elected to cycle into the headwind to get out to Mui Ne for a couple of days of beach. It also happens to be the kite capital of South East Asia. I rented some top of the line gear and went out for a rip in some wonderful warm 25 knot wind which always does wonders for the grumps.
We then followed in the steps of John and B toward Rio along a nice quiet coastal road that was a great change from some of the ear splitting horns we experienced on the national highway south of Hoi An. The rule on the national highway is that if your horn is the loudest, then you have the right of way, and some of us resorted to stuffing our ears with TP to dampen some of the blare.
Once in Vung Tau, we managed to catch a hydro-foil boat up the Mekong River into Ho Chi Minh City (although everyone still calls it Saigon).
There haven't been many picks because I haven't been feeling too well - here are a few that I enjoyed. Everyone else is feeling great now, and I am on the mend.
Also worthy of mention is that Monica and I are 6kms short of 2000kms in SE Asia - I think I might head out around the block a few times to make it count.
 |
| Most towns have a radio tower that looks just like Tour d'Eiffel, but this is the most impressive to date |
 |
| John and B photobomb some Cham Ruins |
 |
| This was actually from the "most bombed" part of Laos - I like it, so will post it here |
 |
| I wonder if Buddhism endorses the MiniBus? |
 |
| This guy stopped to put his shades on for a photo with his incense stacks - this is not the most I have seen on one bike |
 |
| This guys bike is a real cargo bike like they used to cart things up and down the HCM trail - I wonder if he actually did |
 |
| Tragedy at Son My (My Lai) |
 |
| Khe San beach near My Lai |
 |
| This was the drink cart dude on the train - he loved the mirror on my glasses |
 |
| Fishing boats near Phan Thiet |
 |
| Mui Ne Beach |
 |
| Fun little bridge crossing |
 |
| Beautiful coastal road |
Sorry to hear you had 'the revenge'. Glad you guys are on the mend!
ReplyDelete2000 km ... impressive.
Hope you are 100% soon!
B.
A tour around the world isn't complete without time spent worshiping the ceramic toilet bowl of destiny! Hope the insides are getting happier and you can start overindulging to compensate for hurling! xxx
ReplyDeleteHey Pete, sorry to hear you guys have been so sick :o) thinking of you and so sorry I missed your call yesterday!!! Love to you and Mon xoxox
ReplyDelete